Sunday, November 29, 2009

Reflection on Technology Assessments

I first want to provide a little background information to give you some insight into my thoughts on the required surveys and my responses to the questions therein. I hold a BS in Computer Information Systems and have done graduate work in the field of Computer Science. I currently serve as a Business Computer Information Systems teacher at a charter school in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. This is my fourth year working for our district and my third at my current campus. I am certified to teach Technology Applications for grades EC-12 and ELA and Reading for grades 8-12. I worked as a Tech Apps teacher for two previous years, one serving elementary and middle school students, the other working only with elementary students. I now work with high school students. I took a brief hiatus during the 2008-2009 academic year to work as our district's Educational Technology Coordinator and as a member of our data systems team. While this role was both challenging and rewarding, I prefer to work closer to the end product in our system - our students.

My responses on the Technology Applications Inventory will show that I am very competent in the use of technology for instruction. I noticed that the questions asked were very closely aligned with both the Technology Apps TEKS and the NETS-S and NETS-T standards. The SETDA assessment was much more comprehensive in that it focused more on evaluating technology use in the classroom than on whether or not the appropriate skills were present. The combination of these two tests should give a fairly accurate picture of the respondent’s skill set and his/her ability to implement technology in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment